Sunday 16 February 2014

The Rice Vermicelli Stir Fried 炒米粉


I grew up with this dish! My mum literally created this dish herself, so it's not a traditional dish. I always get so cheerful and happy when I found out we were going to have rice vermicelli stir fried for dinner or lunch every time (it was suppose to be my mum's 'lazy day dish' but I just love it so much)!

So I started to recreate this rice vermicelli stir fried when I moved to Singapore and Australia now (mainly because I miss my mum's home cook meal and the dish itself). I made one last night and thought of sharing this! Also, I got the recipe book (Recipe from My Home Kitchen) by Christine Ha (my favourite Masterchef US winner-third season) and I found out that her recipe for Soy Sauce Stir Fried Noodle is similar to my recipe for recreating my mum's Rice Vermicelli Stir Fried (not that I'm flattering myself but the main ingredients are almost the same!).

Before the recipe starts, I wanted to have a quick talk about the main ingredient - The Rice Vermicelli. My mum told me that I had to use the only type of Rice Vermicelli for the texture of the dish (her style) or it's just not that same. I need to use the Dongguan Rice Stick/Vermicelli. In the package, it has 6 slices of the dry rice vermicelli which I think it's a good idea (you don't have to cook the whole packet or try to separate the dry vermicelli yourself, messy!). You can get these rice vermicelli in any supermarket or Asian market for more brand options.

The Recipe for Rice Vermicelli Stir Fried (for 4-5 person):
Ingredient: 
Canola Oil 

4 slices Dongguan Rice Stick/Vermicelli (soak in warm water till they break apart and ready for cooking just like the picture above)

4 stems Chinese Choy Sum (chopped roughly)

1 can/ 1 fresh pack Baby Corn  (chopped)

5 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)

250g Pork fillet (finely sliced and marinate with 1tsp white pepper, 1tsp sugar, 1tsp corn starch, 1tbsp soy sauce)

3 Eggs (whisked)

2 tbs dark soy sauce

1 tbs soy sauce

1 tbs oyster sauce


Cooking Method:
  • Cook whisked eggs with a little canola oil in a separate frying pan and scramble them like this. Set aside. 



















  • In a wok or a big frying pan or big saucepan, (high heat) heat canola oil and cook garlic till golden.
  • Pour in marinated pork fillet slices and cook for about 2 minutes (or until it's cooked)
  • Pour all the vegetables (choy sum and baby corn) and mix them together



















  • Dark soy sauce and soy sauce in (remember to taste and adjust to your liking)
  • Then add in rice vermicelli and mix them together.
  • Add scrambled eggs made earlier.
  • Add oyster sauce and mix around.
  • Dish them up and pair it with the chili sauce you like or tomato sauce for kids.

Quick, easy and yummy. My mum just had Chinese Choy Sum in hers, very simple. I have added baby corn in this because I like baby corn. You can change the vegetables or protein around to your liking, very easy. Hope you enjoy this!

Love, Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment